'Green' and 'Red' claims and the impact on funding for highways.
Received: 4 August 2020
I am writing to you to make a Freedom of Information request in respect of highways under your management.
I am seeking to understand the current situation regarding 'Green' and 'Red' claims and the impact on funding for highways.
"Green Claims" are claims for damages made against culprits and their insurers for the cost to repair damage to the highway asset and "Red Claims" are those claims made against the highway authority.
Could you please respond to the following questions for the most resentful financial year for which you have records?
1. What is the length of carriageway maintained by the highway authority?
2. What is the annual revenue budget allocation for highway maintenance and response (excluding improvements)?
3. What is the approximate annual cost of response and repair following damage to the highway asset?
4. How many "Green Claims" were raised in the year?
5. How many "Green Claims" led to a successful recovery of damages?
6. What was the value of damages recovered from those "Green Claims"?
7. How many "Red Claims" were received in the year?
8. How many "Red Claims" were paid in the year?
9. What is the value of damages paid in respect of those "Red Claims"?
10. What was the legal cost of defending "Red Claims" in the year?
11. From which year are the figures provided?
12. Could you please provide a copy of the highway inspection and intervention regime for the authority?