Freedom of Information Request

51st State & Titan Festival Events 2022

Received: 16 November 2022

I am disappointed to note that, under the attched Events in Parks Policy ('the Policy'), Copthall Playing fields has been allocated 20 points which allows for large festivals to be held, including music festivals, despite being surrounded by residential housing.

I note the Policy Consultation with residents is completely inadequate - there is no seeking of prior consent from a majority of local residents affected by the noise from the event, nor Councillors as their elected representatives, just a commitment to inform residents that an event is taking place after permission has already been granted. This is a total denial of local democracy and I intend to raise this with the Local Government & Social Care Ombudsman.

I make the following further requests under the Freedom of Information Act:

1. The Policy is stated to be subject to review every 2 years, when is the next review due and who will undertake the review? In particular, will any Councillors be involved in the next review and, if so, please name them or the relevant Committee.

2. The Policy states:

'A public entertainment licence or a temporary events notice may be needed if the event consists of music, dancing, singing or similar. Please contact the Licensing Department on 020 8359 7471. A fee may be charged for a licence.'

Please provided details of the entertainment licences ('the Licences') granted for the 51st State Festival held on Sat 20 August 2022 and the Titan Festival held on Sun 21st August 2022 at Copthall Playing Fields and, without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, please specify:

2.1 Were Environmental Health consulted as to noise levels prior to the granting of the Licences?

2.2 What limitations (if any) were included in the conditions of the Licences regulating the maximum noise level permitted to be emitted from powered speakers at the Festivals?

2.3 Who granted the Licences?

2.4 Was there any consultation with local residents or their elected Councillors prior to the grant of the Licences?

Outcome / Documents

  • Response (all information to be supplied) - application/pdf - Download