About the Select and Collect service
Although all library buildings remain closed for the present, you can request books, CDs and DVDs for collection using our new Select and Collect service.
You can choose what you would like to borrow and we will prepare a selection of items for you.
You can tell us exactly what you want to borrow or give us information about what you like to read, watch or listen to.
How to collect your items
Once we have prepared your items we will let you know that your request is ready so that you can collect it.
You will need to be a Barnet Library member to use Select and Collect. Join the library online if you are not a member already.
For the safety of you and our staff, we are following government and health advice while preparing your selection. All returned items are quarantined for 72 hours before they are available for Select and Collect. This means it will take some time before your selection is ready for collection. Rest assured we are working hard to prepare your items as soon as we can.
Make a Select and Collect request
There are 3 ways you can make a Select and Collect request:
1. How to Select and Collect a specific item
Log in to 'My Account' in Barnet Libraries Online and search our catalogue for the item you wish to request. Choose the library you want to collect the item from and click the 'Select and Collect' button. You will receive an email to confirm your request and tell you what happens next. You must have a library card that starts 20131 to use Barnet Libraries Online. If your library card starts H00 please see below.
2. Let us choose items for you
We are working on an online system to make it easy for you to request items.
While this is finalised, you can tell us what you like or what you are looking for and we will put together a selection based on your preferences.
We won't always get it right but we hope to introduce you to new books and authors you'll like.
Send an email to email@example.com please add 'Select and Collect' in the subject line
In the email please tell us:
- your name
- your library card number
- the library you wish to collect from. You can choose from Chipping Barnet, Colindale, Edgware or Finchley Church End libraries
- what you would like to borrow
You can request:
- a selection of books by a specific author. For example, 5 books by Agatha Christie
- a book or selection of books on a subject. For example, a book on dinosaurs for a 6 year old
- the format. For example, large print, audiobook, hardback or paperback, DVD, CD
- the number of items you would like. You can borrow up to 20 items on your library card
- please be as clear as possible so we choose the best items for you.
Please tell us:
- if the item you want is for an adult or child
- if you want fiction (novels) or non-fiction (information)
- if your requests are for study or leisure
- the genre of fiction you enjoy
- who your favourite authors are
It will take us longer to supply items that are not available at the library you wish to collect from. Items that are on loan to another customer will also not be available until they are returned. Please tell us if you do not want to wait longer for these items to be included in your selection.
3. How to Select and Collect by phone
If you are unable to request your items on Barnet Libraries Online or by email you can telephone us.
Chipping Barnet Library 020 8359 4040
Colindale Library 020 8359 3930
Edgware Library 020 8359 2626
Finchley Church End Library 020 8359 3800
Mondays - Saturdays 10am - 5pm
Watch our video or view Select and Collect FAQs to find out more.
- we will contact you by email or telephone when your selection is ready to collect
- to minimise contact all items will be pre-issued and prepacked ready for your collection
- collection will be from the front door of the library only. There will be no public access to the library building including toilets
- until further notice there will be no fines on overdue items
- you can have a total of 20 items on your library card. You may need to return an item before or at the time you collect your request
- all returned items must be placed in the 'Out of Hours Return Bin' outside Chipping Barnet, Edgware and Finchley Church End libraries. At Colindale library you can return items inside the library during our revised opening times. Please be considerate to other customers when returning items
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone one of the libraries above.