Last year, £67,981 was allocated by the Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) to Barnet Council's Street Scene service as a ‘one off’ fund to help keep the borough clean.
The 6th Friern Barnet Group helped collect litter at Friern Bridge Open Space.
The council has continued to use this funding to support community groups in the borough by offering them free equipment to carry out their own litter picking events.
Over two rounds of applications in the summer and autumn of last year we gave out items such as litter pickers, gloves, hi vis vests, bags and bag hoops. Across these two rounds of applications, we received 76 applications, with 9,034 pieces of equipment requested including 1,175 litter pickers, 1,171 hi vis vests and 1,633 gloves given to groups who applied.
Residents who are thinking of holding their own litter picking events and need the supplies to do so or want to take part in this year’s Great British Spring Clean from 20 March to 13 April, can now apply for free equipment by completing the form below.
More information about this year’s Great British Spring Clean can be found at www.keepbritaintidy.org.
The council will also offer to collect a limited amount of waste from these litter picking events providing arrangements are made prior to the event day.
To apply for the equipment, you will need to:
- Be undertaking a clean-up event this year (this is not limited to the town centres and can be residential streets or green spaces).
- Provide the council with details and photos of the event after it has taken place (as we must give feedback on the work to Central Government).
- Be able to collect equipment from Barnet House, 1255 High Road, Whetstone, N20 0EJ.
The list of equipment and supporting services for the spring scheme:
- Litter pickers (available in regular and smaller sizes for children)
- Hi-vis vests (available in regular and smaller sizes for children)
- Gloves (available in regular and smaller sizes for children)
- Bag holding hoops
- Waste collection from events – please make sure you contact us at least five working days before your event to arrange an agreed collection point of your litter bags after your event has finished.
To apply, please