Coming into Care

There may be situations where you can no longer live at home with your family. This could be for a number of reasons - illness, a family breakdown or break-up, or parents or carers who are unable to provide you with the right sort of care and protection.

Initially, we see if there are friends or relatives who could look after you. If this is not possible or appropriate, then we will find you accommodation and you will become 'looked after' by Barnet Council.

You may go and live with friends or relatives, in a foster home or a residential home for a few days or weeks or longer if need be.

All these arrangements are made with the agreement of your parents who retain their parental responsibilities. Sometimes, following legal proceedings, the court may decide that you should not live with your family and will give Barnet Family Services the authority to make decisions about your welfare and future. This will involve deciding where you should live. If possible, you might be able live with your parents or with members of your extended family. In some cases, it may be best for you to live in a permanent arrangement outside of your family.

The children in care information pack that will provide you with what you need to know about coming into care, who will support you and what services and support are available: