Barnet is a ‘full service’ Universal Credit area, this means that in most cases you won’t need to apply for Housing Benefit, but should apply for Universal Credit, which has replaced several benefits.
You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if you are in one of the following groups.
- You live in supported exempt accommodation
- You have been placed in temporary accommodation by Barnet Homes
- you have reached State Pension Credit age. You can check when you reach State Pension Credit age hereExternal link
- you are part of a couple where one of you has reached State Pension Credit age
- You are currently in receipt of the Severe Disability Premium as part of an existing claim for JSA(IB), ESA(IB), Income Support or Housing Benefit, or you have received the Severe Disability Premium in one of these Benefits within the last month.